Over my life I’ve noticed something that I have found disturbing and it bothered me even more during the 2016 Presidential campaign.
What that was was the high propensity for violence among people who are supposedly ‘liberal’ and ‘open-minded’ when their behavior displays that they are anything but. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I have a tendency to be a contrarian meaning no matter where you fall on the political spectrum I know at some point I’ll say something that will wind up getting you pissed.
Anyway, during the campaign there were a slew of protests at Donald Trump events. These protests in more than a few occasions wound up in leading to violence directed at the people who were attending those events even though I could see no parallel happening with opponents to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders.
Free societies (or at least our society) are built upon the tenet of Free Speech and while that also means you have the right to demonstrate against speech you don’t like it doesn’t give you license to engage in violent attacks on those you disagree with.
That’s thuggery.
An aside here, there was an instance at a Trump rally down in the Carolinas where a demonstrating was being escorted from the event and got punched by an attendee. That was wrong but I did find it funny that the young man who was demonstrating had gotten punched by a man in his seventies - you’ll excuse me but it did remind me a bit of when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan on the mound and got his hat handed to him.
You can watch that moment here if you’re nostalgic:
But as usual, I digress...
What I wanted to get to was this hypocrisy about ‘openness’ or ‘liberal’ when the truth is that this is the kind of ‘openness’ that was evident in the Soviet Union during its heyday. You don’t get free license to indulge in thuggery because you believe you hold some sort of ‘moral high ground’ in your own mind.
This short perfectly illustrates exactly what I’m talking about and why if people don’t get the message you’ll be looking at a second term of Trump because it’s a behavior that repels people and doesn’t sway them to your argument in the slightest:

No comments:
Post a Comment